Our Openbravo instance has broken (I suspuct upon an update). Why do I think this?:
- Period Control is empty on the Organization
- Data Sets are empty on the Organization
- I cannot Post a Goods Receipt or Goods Shipment
I installed a fresh copy of OB on a Virtualbox server to test if this was the new normal after update but it appears the its only my instance that has the problem. I will backup my instance and try to see the best option, but the options I see are:
- Try to solve this problem on the current instance
- Try to migrate to a new OB Instance (I suspect that this will be a mess)
- Try to look for another system that actually works. I tried contacting support, opened a ticket and the support was a joke. After a week they closed the ticket and put the problem as "Solved"
Note that I have the Community Version.